Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Gratitude Day 6-- Big Bird's Banana Bread

This is about as political as I'm going to get for my readers. I am thankful to live in a free country and can  participate in a peaceful process of voting. I think we need to show kindness and respect even to people we disagree with or didn't vote for. It breaks my heart that 2.6 billion dollars was spent on campaigning when there are children starving in this world. That when my daughter was in Haiti during Hurricane Issac, most of the headlines were concern on how the storm would affect a political convention in Florida, when there were 400,000 people living in tents in Port-Au-Prince, in the storms path. I think we all need to find ways to "love our neighbors as ourselves" as Jesus told us to, and this county and world would be a better place.

I don't watch TV, but I did hear a lot of buzz at some point about Big Bird, so it reminded me to share a little story and recipe, so in honor of Election Day....

When the kids were little, we made a recipe called Big Bird's Banana Bread for a book they had. It was easy and healthy and they liked it even though they had all quit liking bananas. One day, I was resting and 3 year old Gabriel asked if we could make it. I must have said something to indicate yes, meaning yes, sometime. The next thing I knew I went into the kitchen and he had got out his step stool, and laid 3 bananas, a bowl and a wooden spoon on the counter. It was so cute, of course we had to stop and bake the bread right then!

Here's the recipe:


BIG BIRD BANANA BREAD

3 ripe bananas
3/4 c. honey or sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 c. wheat flour (I use whole wheat pastry flour) 
1/4 c. melted butter or corn oil

Mash bananas with a fork. Add melted butter, flour, and honey. Stir until all ingredients are blended. Pour the mixture into a greased and floured bread pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour (or a little less).






Here a link I came across showing the book this came from and how it's fun to make with kids.

http://ourfamilyfoodadventures.com/tag/big-bird-banana-bread/

I can't find a picture of Gabriel quite that little on my computer- I need to scan some-- but here's one-- just to show how irresistibly cute he was!




3 comments:

Jessamyn Leigh said...

Nice segueing from the election to banana bread!

Alyssa said...

baking for World peace!

The Hahn Tide(ings) said...

I prefer banana bread to politics. :-)